- Honesty is the best policy – when it comes to claiming on any type of insurance policy, don’t be tempted to lie, even if you did lose or break your handset in an embarrassing situation (such as up the back end of a cow!) Claims investigators will spot fibs a mile off and your claim just won’t go through.
- Don’t exaggerate – if you make the damage to your handset sound worse than it really is, you’ll be caught out and your claim won’t be successful. If you’re trying to claim for a replacement handset, when actually a quick fix is all that’s needed, you’ll be left disappointed. This all goes back to being honest.
- Act quickly – if your phone is lost or stolen, you should report it to the police immediately (not by calling 999, but your local station’s number). You’ll also need to inform your network provider so they can stop unauthorised calls and texts by putting a block on your phone. You don’t want to end up paying a huge bill that the thief or founder of your phone ran up! Most insurers only cover the first £100 of unauthorised calls and texts.
- Up-to-date policy – it may sound obvious, but make sure you have a mobile phone insurance policy in the first place. Also, if you already have a policy, make sure it’s up-to-date in terms of what handset you have and what is covered.
- Be clear – when claiming, ensure you provide as much detail as possible. For example, if there’s a fault with your phone or you’ve broken your handset, describe how it happened, what isn’t working or, indeed, what’s fallen off!
And there you have it; five easy steps to follow to ensure your mobile phone insurance claim will be successful. So, next time you have one too many and drop your iPhone in your pint of Carling, or you hurl your phone at your boyfriend’s head and smash it to pieces, you’ll know exactly what to do and how to do it!